Party Wall & Neighbourly Matters

By definition, most terraced or semi-detached properties in England and Wales share a dividing wall, more frequently known as a party wall. If you intend to alter this – for example, by raising it for a new extension or underpinning to strengthen it – The Party Wall etc.

Act 1996 requires you to advise your neighbour of your proposals in writing so that the rights of each owner are safeguarded. The Act also deals with other boundary matters and it is essential that you should instruct an our partner, Henry Watson to advise you at an early date.

We also prepare and agree precautionary schedules of conditions on properties that are close to building works, but do not fall within the remit of the Act.